African American Leadership Club Welcomes New Members

Coy Booker

The African American Leadership Club is welcoming new members this year. The group, lead by Chief Equity Officer Mrs. Shonda Burrus, will hold its first meeting on Monday, Oct. 11, at the Innovation Hub in room 204 from 2:45-4 p.m.

AALC is a great opportunity for students of any ethnic background to celebrate, educate and be exposed to African American culture and traditions. There are numerous service project opportunities such as partnering with the Washington Street Church, reading to the “Tiny Tornado” students at Head Start Preschool, college field trips to historically black colleges and cultural field trips.

I got the opportunity to sit down with 2nd year AALC member Elijah Gaines. “AALC gives me an opportunity to discuss issues going on in the world with my classmates,” Gaines said. He believes that AALC is an opportunity for any and everyone to learn and understand African American culture, “I think it’s important that people learn of our history, because not everything is taught in schools. There is so much that we can learn from listening to one another,” he said.

Students of all ethnicities are welcome to join AALC. Mrs. Burrus prides herself in helping students of all backgrounds understand Black history. The importance of understanding someone else’s culture other helps rid people of prejudice and begins to unite a generation of young adults.

Students with questions may message Mrs. Burrus on Teams.