National Women’s History Month 2022

Maddie VanderBoegh

March of 2022 marks National Women’s History Month. This month is set to honor women’s contributions in American history. Women and their history have been celebrated in March of every year since 1987. Women’s History Month began as a local celebration in Santa Rosa, Calif. This entire month is dedicated to strong women all around the world, including those working at Paducah Tilghman High School.

Paducah Tilghman is known for diversity. This includes the many women that work here. Since the entire month of March is dedicated to these women, here are a few who have left a mark on Tilghman: Rebecca Rogers, Angela Shannon, Ashley Adkins and Casaundra Newsome.

Each of the women listed above were asked the same question. “How do you feel like you have left your mark on Paducah Tilghman thus far?” Their responses are as follows:

“I believe communication is key. I have made an effort each and every year to communicate with all my students at PTHS through classroom visits, meetings, emails, phone calls and TEAMS messages. It is important to me that I am available for my students,” said Rebecca Rogers, freshmen and junior guidance counselor.

“I hope all the students I’ve helped in the classrooms, said hello to in the hallways ,or talked to at the Twisters Cart know that I believe they are amazing young adults. I believe they are capable of achieving so many things, and their future and that of our community depend on their hard work,” said instructional assistant and student council sponsor Angela Shannon.

“I don’t know if I have made a mark on Tilghman so much as Tilghman has made a mark on me. I am the educator I am because I have had so many great educators to learn from and look up to at PTHS, many of them women. Teaching here has made me grow in so many ways. I started at PT when I was 22. I have learned so much and grown so much here at PT. I am a better person and educator because of PT. I don’t know if I’ve made a mark here, but Tilghman has definitely impacted me,” said assistant principal of curriculum and instruction, Ashley Adkins.

“I am passionate about making every student feel important and showing them they have something important to contribute to the world. One way I do this is by helping students with their post-secondary plans, that could be college, work, military or a trade. I truly hope every student leaves my office feeling valued and hopeful about their future,” said Casaundra Newsome, sophomore and senior guidance counselor.

Take a moment and thank one of the many women inside Paducah Tilghman High School for their dedication and hard work they put into this school, this month and every month to follow.