FBLA Shows Up and Shows Out at Regionals

Maggie Rowton and Jack Butts

Recently the Paducah Tilghman FBLA team competed at the regional competition at Murray State University. Tilghman had 20 members competing, and out of the 20 members, seven of them placed in their respective competitions. 

Tilghman’s number of competitors was small, with 18 students competing, compared to some other schools in the region, who had more than 100 students competing.

Mrs. Kari Balkey, one of Tilghman’s FBLA advisers, said “I think for the number of students we took, coming home with seven that can go to state is great.”

Mrs. Balkey said that she hopes all of the students who attended did some networking and met new people, enjoyed Murray State Campus and ultimately had a good day. “Results aside, that’s the ultimate goal, for them to broaden their horizons a little bit and meet new people.” Balkey’s goal was achieved.

Abigail Wurth (12) placed second overall in business calculations, Jack Butts (12) placed second in personal finance, Sloane Edwards (12) placed third in Marketing, Abby Brown (12) and Madison Patel (12) placed second in international business and Bella Brown (11) and Erica Wurth (10) placed third in graphic design. All of those who placed at regionals will move onto the state competition April 17-19 in Louisville.

Other members who competed include Ansley Barks (10), health care/spreadsheets; Madelyn Duwe (10) and Maggie Rowton (10), sports and entertainment management; Blaise Gill (11), marketing; Meghan Gruber (12), business law; Whitson McNeill (10), intro to business communication; Khiland Moss (12), Nolan Waller (12) and Jacob West (12), entrepreneurship; Rachael Skibinski (12), organizational leadership; and Cameron Wright (11), political science. 

Sophomore Whitson McNeill said that although he did not place, he still enjoyed the experience. “It’s not all about placing. I had a great day. I got to meet a new person in my testing room, and I made a new friend.” 

Overall, the group did really well, and the advisers have grown FBLA more than 200 percent, the third largest growth in the region.  

The day included an opening ceremony where all schools competing came together where Connie Whit recognized administrators and also those running for the president, secretary, parliamentary, treasurer and reporter gave their statements on why they should be chosen for those positions.

After the opening ceremony, students either went to take their test or study for tests. Also, during this time, two delegates from each school went and voted on who they think should fill those position roles. After all students took their test or did a presentation, the closing ceremony was held, and all awards were given to those who placed in their category.  

Any student who is interested in joining FBLA can join, no business class required. Tilghman’s FBLA participates in a wide variety of activities throughout the school year, aside from the Region 1 Leadership Conference. If you’re interested in signing up or would like more information, you can reach out to Mrs. Balkey, Mrs. Hardin, Mrs. Saladino or Mr. Adams.