The Student News Site of Paducah Tilghman High School

The Tilghman Bell

The Tilghman Bell

The Tilghman Bell

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

PT Cheer Starts Up New Season with New Coach

The squad once known throughout the school has finally found its way back to its roots. With three new coaches and an abundance of new material, much can be expected of the 2023-24 cheer squad. Head coach, Djuan Frye states that “for Tilghman cheer this year, you can anticipate an exciting and fulfilling season ahead. Our main goal is to continue building a strong and supportive team, while consistently improving our skills and abilities.” During practice, the girls strive to “hit” new skills such as straight up extensions, libs, and advanced tumbling passes. Coaches Djuan, Amber, and Dominique all work extensively with stunt groups in order to advance their skills in preparation for gamedays and competitions. Likewise, they are able to build personal relationships whiles also offering the critiques needed to push the cheerleaders to their best.

This year, the Paducah Tilghman cheer squad will be taking part in multiple local and regional competitions. This may come as a surprise to most due to their lengthy hiatus. The Tilghman cheer squad has not competed since 2018 but is now ready to return and showcase their improvements. Although there is a large focus on creating and bettering material, the overall safety of the squad is also prioritized. Strength and flexibility training is incorporated into all practices as well as injury prevention. By doing so, the success of the squad is more probable.

Tilghman cheerleaders are back and ready to work harder than ever. Major changes have been made this year, but the tradition of Tilghman cheer remains and as the year progresses, they hope to reach their goals and more.  “Overall, our plans revolve around commitment, perseverance, and support for each other. By staying dedicated to improvement, fostering teamwork, seeking learning opportunities, and taking care of our physical well-being, we hope to achieve our goals for Tilghman cheer” (Djuan Frye).