The Student News Site of Paducah Tilghman High School

The Tilghman Bell

The Tilghman Bell

The Tilghman Bell

October: Down Syndrome Awareness Month

October: Down Syndrome Awareness Month

October is not only the month of the popular holiday, halloween, but also an awareness month for beautiful people. Down syndrome is a condition in which a child is born with an extra chromosome, otherwise referred to as a “trisomy 21.” This name comes from the chromosome that is duplicated: the 21st. Children and adults with Down Syndrome face some challenges; however, it’s nothing they can’t handle! Some minor physical challenges that are commonly faced are a short neck, small ears, and small hands and feet. The biggest challenge faced would be the IQ range being mildly lower than the average, along with delayed cognitive skills.

While this extra chromosome can cause various disadvantages, many children and young adults with Down Syndrome are now becoming increasingly involved in schools, healthcare systems, and workforces. Communities globally are learning the importance of inclusion of people with Down Syndrome and other mental/ physical disabilities, by having lenient workable hours, special classrooms, teaching criteria, and unique classroom advancements for social interactions, such as peer tutoring.

There are no medical cures for Down Syndrome; but as technologies advance, more medical support improves, and developmental interventions while in school are growing to be more common. At Paducah Tilghman, the abilities classroom located in the Innovation Hub gives kids with learning disabilities a specialized classroom environment and the opportunity for more help while learning the material. These students are also given the opportunity to learn about job opportunities by leaving school to experience “real jobs” and working at Steam, our in-school coffee shop. One of our own, Landon May, (former student and now employee) has been working in the cafeteria this school year and is excelling —  he loves it!