The Student News Site of Paducah Tilghman High School

The Tilghman Bell

The Tilghman Bell

The Tilghman Bell

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

No Pass, No Drive: Things to Know About Getting Your Permit

Johnson.kyschools.us
No pass, no drive

Do you have a sweet 16 coming up soon? It’s about that time that students want to take their permit test and get an extra taste of freedom. Before you go down to the courthouse though make sure to grab a “No Pass No Drive” sheet from Mrs. Wells up in guidance.

The “No Pass No Drive” statute became a law in June of 2007, with implementations starting on August 1, 2007. This is a school-issued form that verifies the student attempting their Learners Instruction Permit.

Some of the stipulations include:

• Academic deficiency, students must pass 4 or more courses per semester.
  • Dropping out of school.
  • Be on grade level.
    • Student’s credits must equal the requirement for their current grade level.
  • Missing 9 or more unexcused absences in one semester.

The reporting requirements include “the preceding semester,” so you have until the end of the semester to have these requirements met. Don’t give up on meeting them, you’ve got this!

Absences can get tricky when dealing with the No Pass, No Drive. Absences do not carry over to the following semester, but students must be “compliant for an entire semester” to be reinstated. If this happens in the fall semester, the student is deemed incompliant for the spring semester. If your attendance is better in the spring semester and meets the requirements, you will be compliant at the end of the spring semester.

Don’t worry, this isn’t designed to make you fail I promise. The No Pass, No Drive is a dropout prevention program. Now that you know, go get behind that wheel!