The Student News Site of Paducah Tilghman High School

The Tilghman Bell

The Tilghman Bell

The Tilghman Bell

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

11 Things to Be Thankful for This Year!

Thanksgiving is all about giving thanks for the things we have in our lives. It’s easy to only focus on the bad and the negative, but I think we can find gratitude in just about anything. When we practice gratitude, we actively notice and appreciate the good things in our lives, both big and small. It helps us shift our focus from what might be going wrong to what is going right, creating a more positive outlook. This can lead to reduced stress, increased happiness, and improved mental health.

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, here are some things you can be thankful for this year:

1. We can be thankful for laughter. Laughter can bring so much light into one’s life. Laughter can improve your immune system, relax you, relieve pain, and even lessen depression.
  2. We can be thankful for a good meal. Whether it’s fast food, take-out, or a nice homecooked meal, good food is EVERYWHERE. Food can increase the production of serotonin in the brain (especially carbs)!
  3. We can be thankful for breath. A nice breath of fresh air can be so relieving and refreshing. Being alive is a gift, and we keep breathing despite all the hard times we go through.
  4. We can be thankful for freedom. With everything going on in the world these days, I feel, it’s easy to be thankful for how much freedom we truly do have.
  5. We can be thankful for our education. The fact we are given the opportunity to pursue education and personal growth is so amazing. School is easily taken for granted and seen as a chore, but so many people in other countries would love to be in our shoes.
  6. We can be thankful for family and loved ones. These are the people who support us and hold us up during hard times.
  7. We can be thankful for nature and the environment around us. I find that going on a nice walk outside can be very soothing. To be surrounded by the lush greenery, and vibrant colors, and to hear the birds chirping is the perfect opportunity to disconnect from the fast-paced world and simply be present in the beauty that surrounds us.
  8. We can be thankful for positive experiences and memories. These shape us into who we are as people.
  9. We can be thankful for technology. Technology can connect us with friends and loved ones. It is also a great way to meet new people and learn about new things!
  10. We can be grateful for the kindness of strangers. One small act of kindness from a stranger who asks nothing in return can leave a lifetime legacy and spark a spiral of kindness.
  11. We can be grateful for the support and care from teachers, mentors, and guides. These people can make a world of difference in our lives. They provide guidance, encouragement, and valuable knowledge to help us navigate through challenges and pursue our goals.

While the holiday season often reminds us to be grateful, integrating gratitude into our daily lives helps us to maintain a positive mindset and appreciate life’s blessings consistently. So, let’s make gratitude a habit, expressing appreciation and finding joy each day, all throughout the year. It’s not just about the holidays, but a habit we can cultivate all year round.