A Growing Rivalry

Ellen O'Nan

Tilghman and McCrakcen Football

Jackson Williams

Since 2013 when McCracken County High School first opened its doors, they have been rivals with Paducah Tilghman High School. With everything from football to academic team the two schools are often top competitors. The most recent game between the rivals being the football game on August 21 where PTHS won 35-27. The rivalry has progressed in the last 7 years that it leaves people wondering what it will evolve into. According to Mr. Jared Wynne, a current teacher and coach, “There were rivalries with the previous county schools before they combined to form MCHS.” Heath, Lone Oak, and Reidland High School all combined to form a current rival of Tilghman, McCracken County High School. When asked about if she expected the rivalry to begin when the county schools combined, Ashley Adkins-Interim Assistant Principal of Instruction said, “Yes, we already had a little bit of a rivalry with some the individual county schools. I thought the rivalry would continue to grow.” According to Mrs. Adkins, “The first couple of games were maximum capacity. That really hasn’t changed. The fans really show up for that game and Mayfield,” this suggests that the rivalry, while lacking the tradition, brings the students cheering for the next game. Mr. Wynne believes these games will become a tradition like the current one with Mayfield, “If a true rivalry is established and there is give and take from both sides.” The students have always showed up to these games between the two, and hopefully this trend will continue cementing the rivalry between MCHS and PTHS.